Cranboyz Online

A place for the members of the Cranboyz to share stories about Comic Books, Conventions and Artwork!



Sunday, December 8, 2019

"Shane can't believe he bought art from..." Part 2: Paul Smith

 This year I was able to add some artwork to my collection from some of my favorite artists, artists I didn't think I'd ever have the chance to own original art from! 

Part 2: PAUL SMITH

 I started collecting comic books with Uncanny X-Men issue 172! I probably know this issue better than any comic book I've ever read! Written of course, by Chris Claremont and drawn by Paul Smith and inked by Bob Wiacek. Paul Smith was my introduction to how the X-Men looked and moved and I loved every panel!
 

Every Member of the team, everyone who appeared in the book, looked perfect to me, exactly as they were supposed to! These are some of my most favorite issues, ever!


My favorite stories, characters and creators, life as a young kid reading comics couldn't get much better!


Paul Smith was at one of the first conventions I went to as a collector of sketches. And he agreed to draw Colossus for me. I didn't realize Paul Smith was as big a deal to everyone else as he was to me and unfortunately Paul smith was extremely busy and my sketch was only a layout. I was excited to have something from Paul but it wasn't much of a sketch.



Last year I was able to meet Bob Wiacek at a convention and he agreed to ink the sketch for me. I know many people get copies inked but after so many years, I wanted this framework to come to life! Bob did a wonderful job of finishing Paul's art and I was excited to have a sketch by the 2 artists who I started reading X-Men with!
 


 The Colossus sketch was now complete but I still felt like I still didn't have a true Paul Smith piece of art. As luck would have it, Paul sells artwork online from time to time, if you're quick enough! And I was quick enough to add a Paul Smith Rogue to my collection! And no one draws a better classic Rogue than Paul!
While I lucked into that Colossus years ago and was able to complete him last year, this Rogue is the artwork I'd always hoped to have from Paul Smith!

11 year-old me would flip out if he could see these! 

2 comments:

  1. And I got a Smith Liberty Belle along the way - but I'd certainly love an X-Men or Alpha flight piece. Like Aurora. Shit. That needs to happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While X-Men will always be my go-to answer, Aurora's an excellent idea!

      Delete