Cranboyz Online

A place for the members of the Cranboyz to share stories about Comic Books, Conventions and Artwork!



Monday, December 23, 2019

"Shane can't believe he bought art from..." Part 4: Brett Booth

This year I was able to add some artwork to my collection from some of my favorite artists, artists I didn't think I'd ever have the chance to own original art from!
Part 4: BRETT BOOTH!


Shortly after Image Comics launched, Jim Lee recruited a bunch of brand new talent which introduced us all to Brett Booth! His artwork was super detailed and always dynamic!



The Kindred mini-series pushed Brett Booth further into the spotlight where he got to draw 2 of my favorite characters, Grifter and Backlash!

Booth was an instant fan-favorite and comics legend! Being a West Coast guy, I've never had the chance to meet him, get a book signed or shake his hand.

Around the end of 2018 I learned that Brett Booth would draw a few weekly sketches and sell them on Twitter! Whatever he was in the mood to draw was up for grabs.
This year I was able to get this insanely detailed "Sketch Saturday" art from Brett of Zealot and Grifter, of the WildC.A.T.s! No scan can do this artwork justice, you have to see it to believe it!


A few months later Brett Booth started a Patreon page and took a handful of commissions. I was lucky enough to get on the list and went back to the nostalgia of Kindred, with Backlash and Grifter, pencilled and inked by Brett! It looks like an unused cover!


I loved the artwork so much that I commissioned Ross Hughes to add digital colors and he really brought this beauty to life!



A short time later, Brett Booth penciled up this Kindred tribute in celebration of the series 25th Anniversary! The amount of detail in this artwork borders on overwhelming! I am happy to say I was able to get this from Brett to add to my collection, too!


Being an Anniversary piece, Brett had his original inker on Kindred, Sal Regla, ink a scan of the artwork! This is a great example of how an inker adds depth with their brush.


Finally, Brett had Andrew Dalhouse color the scanned inks and made a print out of it! This artwork is stunning! It's a shame that DC Comics let the anniversary of such a fan favorite series, pass by. 


I may have gotten a little carried away but I have no regrets adding 3 unbelievable Brett Booth pieces to my collection this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment