Cranboyz Online

A place for the members of the Cranboyz to share stories about Comic Books, Conventions and Artwork!



Sunday, November 15, 2020

Shane's completed CAPTAIN AMERICA Sketchbook!

In 2008 I decided I needed another sketchbook! I've always been a fan of Captain America, Nick Fury, SHIELD and all of their assorted friends, enemies and frenemies but in 2008 I decided to fill a sketchbook with them! And I can tell you exactly why!

Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting's run on Captain America!


I have also been a fan of Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting's work for many years so when they took on one of my favorite heroes, I was on board! And then Nick Fury was all over it! And then The Winter Soldier! And then they Killed Captain America (It all worked out, ,I mostly forgive them for that)!

So the book started with Captain America on the inside front cover and Nick Fury on page 1!           Both by Steve Epting! 


From there I got several Captain America Sketches by wonderful artists like Marvel Legend, Bob Layton! Comic Book Great, Arvell Jones! Comics Superstar, Darryl Banks! And Fan Favorite Artist, Robert Atkins!


And I got some Nick Fury sketches from talented artists like the Legendary Dave Johnson! Captain America artist, Mike Perkins!  Nick Fury Versus SHIELD artist, Bob Hall! And Marvel Comics MVP, Ron Frenz! 





Did I mention that the Brubaker and Epting run introduced the Winter Soldier? Because they created him! I got the Winter Soldier in my sketchbook from the infamous Brian Hurtt and from the mighty, Lee Weeks!


The sketchbook had more than it's share of fearsome villains, too!

How about the Red Skull by Chris Samnee and by Tom Raney!


Crossbones is by Ron Frenz!

Arnim Zola by Mitch Byrd! Baron Zemo by Francesco Fracavilla

The Yellow Claw by Andy Bennett! Madame Hydra by Keith Pollard!


 And what are villainous masterminds without their armies?

AIM by Andy Bennett! Hydra by Landon and Brandon Franklin! 

Ultimatum by Sean Forney! Watchdog by Nate Lovett! 




Captain America and Nick Fury are never far from back-up! My sketchbook also collects a ton of cool heroes! Black Widow by Mike Grell! Battlestar by Jeremy Dale! Dum Dum Dugan by Ron Frenz! Falcon by Darryl Banks!  Diamondback by Jim Towe!


Not every character makes the A-list! But my friends and I love some quality back-up characters! 

Batroc the Leaper by Craig Rousseau! Demolition "D-Man" Dunphy by Pat Quinn! Death Adder by Josh Medors! And how about Steve Rogers as Nomad by Ron Wilson! 


For the last several pages of the collection I decided to get some team-up pieces of Captain America and some of his best partners! A few of those include, Captain America and Bucky by Chris Sprouse! Captain America and Nomad (Jack Monroe) by Tressa Bowling! Captain America and the USAgent by Paul Pelletier! 





And of course I had to get some more Nick Fury added to the collection so here's Cap and Nick by Ron Frenz and by Tom Morgan! 




For the final page, I decided to revisit the Days of Future Part concept from Uncanny X-Men 141! Pat Quinn delivered this beauty of Captain America and Bucky, together til the end of the line! 


I collected 96 pieces in this sketchbook and finally cut the book down and transplanted the pages to a portfolio to better preserve them. But there are so many more then what I shared here. Every one of them has a story and memory to go along with it that you can read about over on Comic Art Fans! 

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=62444

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I check this site every so often and was glad to see a new post. Brubaker's run is the best.

    ReplyDelete